Photographic Artists of Merrickville and Kemptville

by Doug MacDonald and Sandy Arcand From 1895, when the Pelton brothers, Daniel Edson Pelton (1868-1901) and Charles Cook Pelton (1876-1965), purchased the Samuel Martin...

Rachel Swedlove: survivor and supporter

When Rachel Swedlove arrived in Kemptville in 1929, she had already lived more than many people manage in a lifetime. Born Rachel Achber, in...

The Bell Telephone exchange, Kemptville, 1939

This picture of the Bell telephone staff was taken in the summer of 1939. Reading left to right is Mrs. Doug Sommerville (Bowen), Miss...

Throwback Thursday: Oxford Station Cheese Factory

At the turn of the Twentieth Century, cheese factories were a major part of the Ontario economy, and North Grenville and the surrounding area was one...

Burritt’s Rapids

The photograph dates from around 1905 and shows the rapids which gave the village its name, along with the mills which gave it its...

Leahurst House, Kemptville Campus

Here is a building that predates most buildings in North Grenville, but is almost unknown, except to children! Today, it is the home of...

Grahame’s Bakery

Grahame’s Bakery was originally the site of a house built by Asa Clothier in the 1820's, and was at the centre of what was...

Kemptville Public School, 1873-1936

The B&H Grocery store in Kemptville stands today on what was once the site of this really lovely school. The Kemptville Public School served...

Kemptville College – Early 1920’s

The photograph shows two buildings that formed the core of Kemptville College in its early years. In the background is the renovated farmhouse of...

The Rideau River Bridge on old Highway 16

In the late 1930's, the road from Kemptville to the Rideau River followed a different route and ended at the swing bridge at Beckett’s...
broken clouds
-6.2 ° C
-5 °
-7.2 °
62 %
75 %
-0 °
-0 °
-1 °
-1 °
-2 °