A tale of two Buildings

by Tricia Habberjam The year is 1874. Alexander Mackenzie is Prime Minister of Canada, and a new crushed limestone building is completed at 15 Water...

Old Post Office Site Prescott & Reuben Streets

Before the fire of 1873, John Magee, a tailor, had a store on this site. After the fire, he built a new stone building...

Odd Fellows Hall, 119 Clothier St. East

Built in 1859 by Joseph Bower, a leading merchant in the community in the latter half of the century, it was run by Bowers...

South Gower: a strange and changeable township

When the Township of South Gower was amalgamated with Oxford-on-Rideau and the Town of Kemptville in 1998, it officially ceased to exist. But that...

The Indian Act

The Times is publishing a series of articles on Indigenous History as part of Indigenous History Month. The infamous Indian Act has been used by...

Clothier Hotel, 9 Water Street, Oxford Mills

Here is a building that no-one but older residents from Oxford Mills will recognise. It was constructed c 1835 of timber frame and served...

Parliament Hill

There are very few more potent symbols of Canada and Confederation than the Centre Block on Parliament Hill, with its magnificent Peace Tower, which...

Deeks Quarry: an industrial phenomenon

A few weeks ago, we profiled the campaign back in 2001-3 to have the memorial cairn at Deek’s Quarry renovated and restored. Since then,...

The settlement that passed us by: Part 4

As the War of 1812 was ending, steps were taken to bring in immigrants and disbanded soldiers to the Rideau area to form a...

A celebration of 230 years

by David Shanahan It was in 1791 that the boundaries of Oxford-on-Rideau Township were laid out by Jesse Pennoyer, Land Surveyor, marking the beginning of...