By Paul Cormier, Salamanders of Kemptville
In April of 2021, I gave you our family’s recipe for Baked Brie, wrapped in pastry. Salamanders has another version that is very popular and a great treat this time of year for entertaining family and friends. You might consider it while decorating the house. This particular recipe adds a festive season staple, the use of cranberries, a versatile, tasty and healthy addition to any dish.
Onion and Cranberry Baked Brie
- 1 large Brie
- 2 sweet onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter (salted or unsalted, your choice)
- ½ cup dry cranberries (Craisins)
- A dash of vinegar (white wine is also nice)
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- Bring your Brie to room temperature and pre-heat your oven to 375F
- Place the Brie on a greased cookie sheet
- Pop in the oven while you are preparing the topping
- Sweat your onions in the butter till they start to turn golden
- Add the sugar, then the cranberries, then the vinegar and caramelize your topping
- Take the Brie out of the oven and transfer to your favourite serving dish
- Top with the hot onion-cranberry mixture and sprinkle with the pecans
Serve with triangles of Naan bread, warmed briefly in the microwave or half slices of your favourite bread from Grahame’s. Either works just great.
As a wine, consider a cold Chardonnay, unoaked preferably, though a Merlot wouldn’t go amiss, nor would a dark beer, e.g., a St. Ambrose Stout.
Many thanks again for your mails, questions and feedback. Keep ‘em comin’, folks at [email protected].