Since pumpkins are everywhere this time of year, carved or otherwise, you may as well give in and make use of this great fruit. Nothing says fall more than the Traditional Pumpkin Pie. It is simple to make, relatively healthy and sure tasty.
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- 1 X 15 ounce can of pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon each of ground cloves and ginger
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 X 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 X 9-inch pie crust (home made or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs and pumpkin together in a large mixing bowl
- Mix the spices and sugar together and blend into the pumpkin mixture
- Stir the evaporated milk in a bit at a time
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell
- First, pop the pie in the oven for 15 minutes to set the pie
- Then, reduce your oven heat to 350 F and bake for 45 minutes
- Check for doneness by inserting a fork to see if it comes out clean
- Cool completely, then refrigerate
In September 2022, I gave you the recipe for mincemeat. A welcome addition to the traditional pumpkin pie is a bottom layer of the sweet spicy stuff. Just line the bottom of your pie crust with a half inch of mincemeat before pouring on your pumpkin mixture. Cooking is the same. If you’ve lost the recipe and would like to have it, just drop me a line. By the way, if you are using mincemeat, you probably have enough filling for two pies. You can freeze the extra one by wrapping it in foil and popping it into a large freezer bag.
Pumkin Pie has received another welcome addition in the past few years: pumpkin ice cream. So, a healthy slice of pumpkin pie (with or without the mincemeat), a scoop of pumpkin ice cream and maybe a dollop of whipped cream is an excellent way to welcome the fall and festive season.
Please be in touch at [email protected].