By Paul Cormier, Salamanders of Kemptville
Our family has always been fond of mushrooms. There is a wide variety of them and one of our favourites is the Cremini or Baby Bella mushrooms. This recipe for stuffing them and baking them provides a tasty treat at any time of the year.
Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms
- Eight Cremini mushrooms, stems removed (only wash if need be)
- 1 pound of sausage meat (your choice of flavour; Andouille is very nice)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- ½ cup of the grated cheese of your choice (I recommend old cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- A shake of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese as a topping
- Heat your oven to 350 F
- Lightly fry the mushrooms in the butter, cap side down
- In a separate pan, sweat the onion and garlic
- Add the sausage meat to your onions and garlic
- Add the pepper and Worcestershire sauce
- Remove the mushrooms and line them up in an oven proof pan (glass preferably)
- Stuff the mushrooms with the meat, onion and garlic mixture
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the grated cheese
- Return to the oven and bake till the cheese has melted
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese
You will wish to serve these warm right away as a great opening to any meal.
Cremini mushrooms are readily available as are all of the other ingredients. You can be creative with the taste you want by varying the flavour of the sausage and of the cheese. For vegetarians, simply chop up the stems to replace the bacon and season accordingly. Please stay in touch at [email protected].