The BLTC Sandwich
Every year, I believe it is an obligation to savour the last of our garden’s tomatoes and lettuce to produce a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. The “C” I have added is for some tasty cheese.
Ingredients (per sandwich)
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 or 3 slices of the best tomato you can pick
- 3 slices of a good quality bacon
1 slice of iceberg lettuce or whatever lettuce you grew this year
- 3 slices of a flavourful cheese, such as an old cheddar
- Fry up your bacon to the point where it is still flat and not too crispy
- Remove the bacon, pour out most of the fat
- Toast your bread lightly, then toast further in the remaining bacon fat
- Coat your bread with mayonnaise
- Layer your tomatoes, bacon and cheese
- Give your sandwich about 45 seconds in the microwave oven
- Cut the sandwich diagonally for serving
For more sandwiches, just adjust your ingredients and start a production line. This is where everyone partaking of the sandwiches can help out. Serve with a tankard of your favourite ale or a chilled iced tea. For vegetarians, simply skip the bacon; you still get the goodness of the tomato and lettuce.