by Paul Cormier, Salamanders of Kemptville
Sunday morning is always Big Breakfast time at our farm, The Forest at LilyPond. So, we are always looking for variations on the breakfast theme. This recipe for Apple Pancake (yup, no “S” on the end of the word “pancake”) is a bit of a surprise since it reads like a breakfast cake. Serve it with some maple sausages for a special treat. You might even drizzle it with some maple syrup. We use our neighbour Doug’s, which is dark and full-flavoured.
¼ cup of butter
¼ cup of white granulated sugar + another ¼ cup
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 medium size apples, peeled and sliced (I always like a tart apple for cooking)
4 eggs, separated
1/3 cup of flour
½ teaspoon of backing powder
A pinch of salt
1/3 cup of milk
- Melt the butter in a 10X12 inch pan in a 400F oven.
- Mix the first ¼ cup of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the butter.
- Top with the apple slices and return to the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites till foamy.
- Gradually add sugar until the egg whites peak.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and blend in the 4 egg yolks and milk.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Spread evenly over the apples and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
Happy Sunday morning! Please keep in touch as a good many do, at my email address: [email protected]. All the best!