The McCargar brothers emigrated from Ireland around 1800, settling in South Gower. He and his family moved to the land that is now the University of Guelph, Kemptville campus, around 1820 and built this fine stone home around 1840. It is thought to be the oldest stone building in Kemptville. It was bought by the Kemptville Agricultural School in 1916 and renovated for use as the President’s House for many years. Today it is home to the North Grenville Co-operative Preschool and Learning Centre.