In September 2022 I gave you the recipe for Mincemeat using green tomatoes. Today’s recipe is a bit more traditional and just as tasty. Our British friends use it during the festive season in particular to create Mincemeat Tarts and other such delectable stuff.
- ¾ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of dried currants
- ½ cup of glace mixed peel (candied)
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- The grated zest and juice of one lemon
- The grated zest and juice of one orange
- 1 cup of chilled white beef suet, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of brandy
- In a large ovenproof dish, mix all of the ingredients except the brandy
- Cover with a dish towel and leave out overnight for the flavours to blend
- Replace the plastic with foil and warm the mixture for 3 hours at 250F
- Remove, stir and set aside; stir every 15 minutes or so till cool
- Once the mincemeat is completely cool, stir in the brandy
- Sterilize some jars, fill with cold mincemeat and install the lids
Mincemeat stores well in a cool pantry; however, I recommend using it as soon as you can.
Best from [email protected].