submitted by Jean Gallant
One of Eastern Ontario’s largest indoor garage sales was held June 9th and 10th in Kemptville, attracting more than 3,500 buyers.
Organized by the Kemptville District Hospital Auxiliary, Hey Day is a major fundraiser for the Kemptville District Hospital and this year it broke all records. More than $50,000 was raised over the 2 day event, all of which goes to the Hospital in support of much needed equipment.
Eager treasure hunters were lined up an hour before the doors opened, and the line went around the North Grenville Municipal Centre and even down the road. The arena was full to the brim with amazing deals, low prices on everything, and even some things that were free! Bargain hunters were not disappointed, as there were treasures to be found in furniture, books, linens, toys, clothing, jewellery and fine china, sporting goods, appliances, and tools. Thanks to a generous donation by Les Winters, we were able to offer sandwiches, drinks and snacks at the canteen. And the Bake Sale meant there were homemade goodies to take home too!
A huge thank you goes out to all of the over 220 volunteers who helped accept the donations, sort them, set them up at the different sections, and help buyers during the sale. They worked hard but always with a cheerful attitude. Well done, Team!
An event this size can’t be successful without the generous donations of local businesses and our Hey Day garage sale was no exception. Words can’t express our gratitude for the exceptional support of the Kemptville area community who came through with overwhelming donations and unexpected but much-needed help when we needed it. We especially recognize and appreciate:
- B&H Your Community Grocers – thank you.
- Class Axe for the sound system – thank you.
- BMR Kemptville Building Centre – thank you.
- North Grenville Municipal Staff who went above and beyond – thank you.
- Britt Construction, Mr Dumpster – thank you.
- Jennifer Westendorp – thank you.
- Nate Vandermeer, CTV – thank you.
- Moose FM – thank you.
- Kathy Botham, YourTV Smiths Falls – thank you.
- The North Grenville Times – thank you.
- North Grenville Curling Club – thank you.
- The Kemptville Campus – thank you.
- RigMac – thank you.
- Fat Les, Les Winters – thank you.
- Mayor Nancy Peckford and the Municipality of North Grenville Council – thank you.
- Kemptville Farmers Market, Jonssons’ Your Independent, Food Basics, LCBO – thank you.
- Grahame’s Bakery – thank you!
- Tim Hortons, on Colonnade – thank you!
- All the generous people who donated their time and energy – thank you!
We’re already planning for Hey Day 2024 and excited to be able to offer an event that’s not only fun for everyone, but brings our wonderful community together in support of our hospital and hard-working doctors, nurses and all who work at the Kemptville District Hospital. And if you lost your glasses or change purse while you were shopping, please get in touch with us.
For more information, or to sign up for next year, please contact the Kemptville District Hospital Auxiliary at [email protected]. Follow us on facebook – just search for Kemptville Hospital Auxiliary.