Working smoke alarm saves life of North Grenville resident

0
24

by Fire Chief John R. Okum, North Grenville Fire Service

Around 6:00 pm Friday evening, a male in their twenties was the lone occupant at the time a fire broke out in the family mobile home. The occupant was alerted to the fire by the sounding of the functioning smoke alarm. Upon opening the door from the occupied room, the individual was faced with heavy developing smoke and a fast advancing fire from another room in the residence. The individual was able to self-evacuate to the outdoors without time to acquire a jacket or footwear.

The North Grenville Fire Service was summoned to the report of a structure fire at Fetherston Lane, and responded with various fire apparatus and approximately 30 volunteer firefighters, along with officers from the Ontario Provincial Police and Paramedics with the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville.

Upon arrival, heavy flames were visible from the structure and firefighters conducted a fire attack while protecting neighbouring property. There was no fire damage to neighbouring property.

A family of four have been displaced as the residential structure sustained heavy fire damage. The family lost pet cats, while all contents within the structure were lost or severely damaged. The building was not insured.

A fire investigation was conducted by the North Grenville Fire Service. The fire has been determined accidental in nature with a probable cause resulting in the use of a portable electric heater.

The North Grenville Fire Service would like to remind the public that portable electric heaters are intended for temporary heating and are not a permanent source of heat. When using a portable electric heater, always follow manufacturer instructions and never use an extension cord or a power bar.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here