Submitted by Tammy Ferguson
Through the Spencerville Fair and other events put on throughout the year, your Spencerville Agricultural Society promotes agriculture and rural traditions, while giving back to your community. We would like to send out a huge THANK YOU TO OUR VOLUNTEERS, without whom this would not be possible.
The Spencerville Agricultural Society is completely run and supported by a dedicated group of volunteers, each giving as little or as much as they can of their time, ideas, and expertise. Whether it be helping with set up and tear down at fair time, manning the ticket booths, cooking some meals, or helping with the numerous fundraising efforts that take place throughout the year, we rely on our volunteer family to succeed.
The Spencerville Agricultural society is proud to announce that during our October 21, 2019 regular meeting, we handed out various donation cheques to some of the organizations who supported us during our Fair:
- Lori Pitt accepted our cheque to Centennial ’67 in recognition of their support during our opening ceremonies by signing ‘O Canada and entertaining everyone with a drum session.
- Annemarie Larocque received our cheque to the Air Cadets 661 Squadron as a huge thank you for their “sanitizing” support of the Fairgrounds (aka doing the garbage). Although it was a last-minute arrangement, they did a great job.
- Deborah Hayes was there representing the St. John Anglican Church Prescott. The church helps us each year with our gates by donating many hours of their time welcoming our guests and we donated to the church as a thank you.
- Christine Hartle was there for Lions Club. The Lions Club is another great supporter of our Fair and we could not do without their support at our gates. Our donation to them was our way of giving back and saying thank you.
- Dave Massey, president of the Grenville 4-H asked to join us and wanted to thank the Spencerville Agricultural Society for our continued support during their achievement day on the Friday of the Fair. He indicated that he has been coming for years and appreciates the collaboration to make it work the best way for both organizations, and each year it runs smoother. SAS supports 4-H with lunch money for the achievement day and, of course, the prize money for all winners.
Some quick and interesting facts – The Spencerville Agricultural Society paid out a total of $63,413 in prize money spread out amongst 566 exhibitors with 4503 entries. The exhibitors, entries and total amount paid out have all increased over last year.
In order for your Spencerville Agricultural Society to continue to thrive, we need an influx of volunteers with fresh ideas and willing hands. If you enjoy going to the Fair and partaking in all it has to offer, we are now asking for your help in whatever capacity you can think of.
Please consider coming out and supporting your community. To find out more about us, please go to our website, spencervillefair.ca, visit us on Facebook or email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.