Submitted by Saman Shaikh, RD., M.Sc.
Registered Dietitian and Public Health Nutritionist
Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
Here are some tips for healthy eating in the workplace.
- Start your day with breakfast. Eating breakfast fuels your body and brain so you can concentrate better at work. Enjoy a healthy breakfast that includes a variety of foods like whole grains, foods with protein and vegetables and fruit.
- Pack your lunch more often. Bring your lunch from home as often as possible to make healthier choices and save money. One strategy is to make extra servings for dinner the night before, then pack them up for lunch the next day. Try packing your lunch the night before to make things easier.
- Pack healthy snacks or keep some at work. To energize yourself throughout the day, have a small healthy snack to keep you going if you’re hungry. Try not to eat while you are distracted and take the time to focus on enjoying your snack.
- Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated helps you fight fatigue and stay alert. Bring a reusable water bottle to refill over the day. Try adding lemon, cucumber or mint to your water to add a burst of flavour.
- Take a break from your work. Stand up and stretch or head outside for some fresh air if you can.