The Grenville County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has received some questions around the use of mobility scooters in the area. People operating motorized wheelchairs are treated in the same way as pedestrians.
To keep you and others safe:
- Always obey all pedestrian signs.
- Remain aware and courteous to all other pedestrians – slow your speed and give an audible and polite signal before passing fellow pedestrians on sidewalks.
- Your mobility scooter is designed for sidewalks and walking/bicycle paths. It is not designed for busy roads or public streets, so avoid these as much as possible.
- Use safety equipment such as reflectors/reflective clothing, lights, and safety flags to keep yourself visible.
- When there is no wheelchair-accessible curb, return to the sidewalk at the first available opportunity.
If there is no sidewalk available, you should travel along the left shoulder of the roadway facing oncoming traffic AND look for a way to get onto a sidewalk safely and as soon as you can.
If you have any further questions please contact your local by-law office.