The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging citizens to “Lock It or Lose It”. The Lock It or Lose It campaign is used to remind citizens that leaving your vehicle unlocked may increase your chances of becoming a victim of theft.
During the campaign, police officers and auxiliary officers may examine parked vehicles in public places such as shopping malls and/or public parking lots to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. An officer will place a small notice on the vehicle that has been checked to point out if safety precautions were neglected and to offer simple crime-prevention tips for the driver to protect the vehicle against theft.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Be sure to take precautions to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft.