Enbridge Gas Distribution donated 102 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to the Merrickville Fire Department last week to help improve home safety and bring fire and carbon monoxide deaths down to zero.
The donation is part of Project Zero, a public education campaign that is providing more than 6,600 alarms to residents in 30 Ontario municipalities. It is a partnership between Enbridge Gas, the Fire Marshall Public Safety Council, and local fire departments. This year alone, Enbridge has invested $200,000 in Project Zero. Since 2009, 34,384 alarms have been given to Ontario fire departments as part of this campaign.
“We have proof that prevention saves lives,” says Jamie LeBlanc of Enbridge, who was on hand to make the donation last week. “Knowing this, we remain committed to educating our customers about the importance of installing a combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, as well as properly maintaining fuel-burning equipment.”
Carbon monoxide is a toxic, odourless gas that is a by-product of incomplete combustion of many types of common fuels. It is important that all fuel burning equipment be properly maintained to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. Carbon monoxide alarms are recommended as a second line of defense, to protect against the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It is essential that Ontarians protect themselves and their families from carbon monoxide poisoning,” says Ross Nichols, Ontario Fire Marshal and Chair of the Fire Marshal’s Public Safety Council. “Project Zero is an invaluable program that helps fire departments educate residents in their community about carbon monoxide alarms.”
Merrickville-Wolford Fire Chief Mark Urquhart is very appreciative of the large donation of alarms to the Merrickville Fire Department. “As a community and system partner, Enbridge is committed to the improvement of our local capacity in awareness and understanding of the hazards of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning facing our residents,” he says. “Enbridge’s deep commitment to safety, and utmost respect for our community, is to be commended.”