Share this page with your friends!
Most Outragious Decorating Winners
Most Creative Decorating Winners
Business Decorating Winners
The Biggest Decorating Winners
The Most Eco-Friendly Decorating Winners
Canada Day Trivia and Historic Photos competition winners
The winners of the two history-themed competition run in the Times for Canada Day have been found. There were a good number of entries, and the most satisfying aspect of the event was the enjoyment people had looking for the answers, even when they didn’t always find them!
The Trivia Contest winners, as chosen by the Kemptville District Community Association, were: 1st. LeangGang; 2nd. Rubber Ducky; and 3rd. VultureZZZ.
The winner of the Historic Photos contest was Harold Tompkins.
North Grenville Trivia for Canada Day 2020
- How many mayors has North Grenville had? Name them.
There have been five. Don Cameron, Bruce Harrison, Bill Gooch, David Gordon, and
- How many municipalities joined to make North Grenville?
Oxford-on-Rideau Township; South Gower Township; and the Town of Kemptville.
- When did Kemptville celebrate its centenary?
- Which Kemptville native became Premier of Ontario?
G. Howard Ferguson
- What year did the Bytown and Prescott Railway arrive in Kemptville?
- There were two railway stations serving Kemptville before 1970. Where were they?
Bedell (Kempton) and Wellington Street
- What once stood on the green space at Clothier Street East and James Street?
The original Methodist Church and cemetery.
- How many Concessions are there in North Grenville?
- What is the oldest church building in North Grenville, though perhaps no longer used as a church?
The Baptist Church, now a private residence at 116 Clothier Street West.
- One family founded both Kemptville and Oxford s. Who were they?
- Wilson’s Inn was an overnight stop for the stagecoach between Ottawa and Prescott. Where as it?
It is now the store in Heckston.
- Where was the Oxford Snie and what happened to it? (Yes, Snie!)
It was a dry creek – running parallel to the Rideau. It was enlarged to make the Canal which bypasses Burritt’s Rapids at Lock 167.
- When did the first newspaper open in what is now North Grenville and what was its name?
1854. The Kemptville Progressionist.
- What was the original name of Beckett’s Landing and why?
Beckett’s Bridge and Beckett’s Landing were both used. It was the location of the ferry across the Rideau. Later a swing bridge was built at the same spot, where the main highway between Bytown and Prescott crossed the River.
- G. Howard Ferguson House, Prescott St. at VanBuren.
- Cecil Hess Store, Heckston, now a private residence.
- 201 Clothier St. W. at Alfred St.
- The Bernard House, Oxford Mills
- Water St. Oxford Mills
- South Branch Bistro, Clothier St W.
- Waugh House, Bridge St. Oxford Mills. Once the Anglican Manse.
- Sherry’s Convenience Store, Heckston
- Lock 17, Burritt’s Rapids
- 9 Clothier St W
- Home Hardware Store, Prescott St. across from the old high school
- Dr. Ferguson House, Clothier St. W at Rideau St.
- Anderson’s Store, 146 Prescott St. Once the Red & White.
The North Grenville Canada Day 2020 Goose Chase scavenger hunt had 90 teams that actively participated in the trivia, video, photo and GPS missions! It was fantastic to see so many people out and about in our community playing along while maintaining social distancing. The participants truly outdid themselves in creativity and imagination. Thank you all so much! Every team will receive a gift certificate but there were 3 grand prize winners.
For any teams that participated, if you haven’t sent me your team name with mailing address yet, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children’s Colouring Contest Winners
The entries for the Children’s Colouring Contest were so over-the-top exceptional that we simply couldn’t choose just one first, second or third place finisher, so we chose three of each!
Thank you so much to everyone who participated!
Winners should email their address to kemptvilledistrictCA@gmail.com. Gift cards will be emailed out to all winners
FIRST PLACE: Taliah Gallinger, Hazel Harrington and Karan from Edmonton!
Adults’s Colouring Contest Winners
The Colouring contestants simply blew us away with your attention to detail, creativity and use of colour.